Global Teacher Prize
At the Varkey Foundation we believe amazing educators should be celebrated. In 2013, we launched the Global Teacher Prize to give incredible teachers from all over the world the recognition they deserve.
Dubbed the "Nobel Prize for teaching”, this $1 million award aims to put teaching excellence in the spotlight, where it belongs. Our goal is to give outstanding global educators a chance to show the world what they do, sharing inspiring stories and encouraging ever-more ambitious teaching practice and educational initiatives.
Do you have what it takes?
...or perhaps you know a teacher who does? Our Global Teacher Prize been designed to identify nothing short of extraordinary teaching, and we use a rigorous set of criteria to help us find individuals who take their profession to new heights. We're looking for:
- Appreciation from parents, students, colleagues, head teachers or the community. We want to see the people who matter speaking up for a teacher who has made a real impact in their lives.
- Innovation in teaching practice. Whether that means embracing technology or doing something new and different. Whatever innovative approach is used, it should clearly help students achieve their learning outcomes.
- Contribution to educational debates. From blogs and conferences, to social media campaigns and media participation, our Global Teacher should be giving voice to the educational issues which affect them and their community.
- Encouragement for teachers, and non-teachers. We're looking for an individual who supports educators and encourages others to enter the teaching profession, either actively or by setting a positive example.
- Preparation of young people for success in an increasingly diverse and globalised world. Winning candidates should be working to turn students into open-minded, successful global citizens.
- Development of innovative ideas and initiatives which improve access to quality education for children from all backgrounds.
- Accomplishment which goes beyond the classroom, setting a precedent for a truly extraordinary approach to education which inspires both teachers and non-teachers all over the world.
The 2017 Prize applications and nominations open in June 2016. If you know a great teacher please nominate them or if you are a great teacher then please apply yourself at The Global Teacher Prize , the award's dedicated website.
Why are we celebrating teachers?
We believe that the key to a great education is having a great teacher, wherever you are in the world. As Lord Adonis writes in The Varkey Foundation's 2013 Global Teacher Status Index report: “No education system can be better than its teachers.”.
That's why the Varkey Foundation are passionate about improving teaching practice all over the world. We believe that boosting the status of teachers is essential to developing better educational systems. We work to achieve this by showcasing teaching as a truly valuable and valued profession. We want this approach to encourage the world's best and brightest to find their vocation in education. When this happens, education across the globe improves – and children everywhere benefit.
Join our movement of teacher champions by shouting #teachersmatter!